Monday, August 15, 2016

I RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE

I RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE

One of the things that really distresses me about our political process is how nasty it has become. Democracy depends upon the ability to discuss, debate, and argue over issues as family and friends. It used to be twe recognized that those we disagreed with politically were good Americans who wanted the best for our country. It was how to get there that we disagreed with. This is no longer true in our current political culture. While this election cycle is particularly nasty, the trend has been moving this way for the past couple of decades. Those who disagree with us politically and ideologically are no longer fellow Americans who want the best for our country but they are idiots because they disagree with me.  They are traitors because they think I'm wrong. They are evil and criminal because their ideas are not mine. This dysfunction of our democracy is exasperated by social media. Friends of mine who are very pleasant in person can be very vicious on Facebook, calling people names they would never utter in person.

I enjoy a good argument. When my wife and I were first married, her family still gathered together on Sunday afternoons for a family meal, often with family members from out of town. We would often get into political discussion that sometimes got heated. My wife did not enjoy these discussions but I did. The main reason I enjoyed them was because no one belittled anyone else. No one got nasty and insulting. We disagreed and at the end of the discussion my father-in-law would hold up his glass of wine and say "salute", the Italian version, and we would toast each others' health.

If we cannot discuss politics without becoming nasty and insulting than our democracy is in serious trouble. Calling each other names is childish. Don't do it. Insulting each other's intelligence is counterproductive and also childish. Someone who disagrees with you is not evil or anti-American. Good people can and do disagree. I have many friends that I disagree with on political and ideological issues. Yet I am glad to see them and enjoy their company. Adults should be able to disagree and argue with getting nasty.


 Let's debate as adults!

Deacon Ed

4 comments: